Earn Points Win Money
This year we are doing something new. In conjunction with the Southeastern Federation of Credit Unions (SFCU) BizKids Showcase, we will be awarding cash prizes at the April 18, 2020 Metro Birmingham Children’s Business Fair. SFCU possible cash prizes are: $500,$100, $50. The MBCBF will award cash prizes valued at $250 based on participation points given separately by SFCU BizKids Showcase and MBCBF. You must actually participate in the April 2020 fair in order to be eligible to win. Just by being accepted to the April 18, 2020 fair, the MBCBF you have or will earn 10 points.
If you have not done so already, 6 to 16 years olds can complete an application to participate.
5 Points each awarded by SCUF for the following
- You will need to watch or listen to the webinar and complete the action item requested near the end of the video in order to receive the points. The webinar provides details about how to qualify for SFCU’s cash prizes.
- Due February 8: Submit business plan draft, discuss ideals and challenges. Email business plan draft to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The final business plan is due next Saturday.
- February 15 : Turn in business plan on time (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Use this guide for helpful tips and a great business plan template: http://bizkids.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Kids-Business-Plan.pdf
- February 22: Open discussion
NOTE: Kids and parents will need to listen to the SCUF webinar to hear details about how to qualify for their cash prizes and how the prizes are awarded. The SCUF updated the above dates as of 1/10/2020.
Points awarded by MBCBF
- 10 points upon acceptance to the fair
- 10 points for submitting a high quality updated photo (professionalism counts, consider how you want to project your image)
- 20 points for your updated, distraction free 1 minute or less video (state name, business name, what you are selling, why you are participating and what results you expect). Include the name of the fair, Metro Birmingham Children’s Business Fair and the date, April 18, 2020. You can upload the video here
- HEADSHOT AND VIDEO: Timeliness of submission is extremely important as it will help us to properly promote your business so that we can draw the maximum number of customers to the fair.
- VIDEO REQUIREMENT FOR OUR USE: If you use your cell or smart phone for video, please turn your camera in such a way that preventd a black screen on both sides of the video. For example, with iPhones, you may have to turn camera sideways when recording. Videos that are blacked out on both sides will not be accepted or promoted. Preview before sending to ensure proper orientation. Distraction free means no background noise or visual distractions, sound must be crisp, speak clearly.
- 5 points for every 6 to 16 year old that you refer to the fair to participate. In order to get the points,
- They must complete our official application, pay the application fee, and be accepted to the fair.
- Put the name of the participant child that recommended them* in Question #2 field (please name source) on the application
- 10 points for Junior Board Member essay. See guidelines here.
- 20 points for attending January 9, 2020 Birmingham Business Resource Center workshop and tour of Innovation Depot. Click here for more info. Registration is REQUIRED to attend.
- 15 Points for attending January 18, 2020 YTDP Workshop: Ronda Robinson – Public Relations Basics
- 15 points for February 8 workshop Dressing for Success with Sabrina Mays. Registration Required – Get FREE Eventbrite ticket here.
- 15 Points February Workshop: Writing Bios and Public Speaking – Register Here
- 15 points for February 29 Lets Become Authors Workshop: Birmingham Public Library – Register here.
- 25 points for attending the March 21, 2020 Meet & Greet at the YMCA Youth Center to talk about logistics for fair day, answer questions, past participant will share their best advice and strategies for success.
- 10 points for actual participation on fair day.
- Earn more points by participating in other MBCBF Youth Entrepreneurship Training & Development program activities between now and fair day. We’ll announce activities and dates as they become available. Some but not all of the activities will require attendance. Attached are additional ways you can earn points.
The Fair participant with the most MBCBF points (>= 100 points) as of the day of the fair will win $250 from MBCBF. If there is a tie, we will have a drawing to select a winner. If highest points equal less than 100, we will draw 5 names and award $50 to each participant whose name we draw. The SFCU BizKids Showcase points and cash prizes are awarded separately by SCFU. The winner of the $500 cash prize will be from only one of the following Showcases:
- Metro Birimingham Children’s Business Fair
- Tuscahoosa BizKids Showcase OR
- Huntsville BizKids Showcase
THERE WILL BE ONLY ONE WINNER OF THE $500 PRIZE.